Play it, Jen


Every good movie has a piano player somewhere in the background--
sometimes seen, usually unseen.
Seldom really noticed.
The feeling, the very soul of a scene, is created by that person tinkering at the keys.
It has been said, "All the world's a stage."
Well then...Play it, Jen.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Over Yonder, Missouri

I'm a California Native transplanted to the Missouri Ozarks. I've learned how to chase cows in high heels and load hay faster than you can say "Coco Chanel." These are some of our pictures and stories of living in a land with breath-taking beauty and adventure around every bend.

Friday, August 11, 2006

Late Afternoon Shadows


Redondo Pier ... late afternoon
Originally uploaded by tejana.
When I was a child, I would often wander into our living room during the late afternoon and see sunlight streaming through the open front door, throwing a distorted block of warm, glowing light onto the carpet of the entry way. One of my favorite things to do on a Late Summer afternoon was to flop down on the carpet, right where that sunbeam fell and bask to my little heart's content. Time meant nothing. I remember exactly the feel of that golden light as it hit my skin.
Long afternoon shadows. The way the sun slants just so and splashes itself across the ground, stretching and magnifying in shadow any item to fall in its path. It brings back so many memories.
Memories of times less hectic, slower, peaceful. There is nothing like the feeling of long afternoon shadows. No way to put words to the sensation.
After a happy, busy, play-filled day, that soft, calm pause where quiet resides and the world can go on spinning without you for a while.
Now I often find myself stopping for a moment to look at the slanting afternoon sunlight falling through my back door as I work in the kitchen to make dinner for my family. How I would love to toss everything aside and go celebrate that warming light for just a little while. I cannot, however. I am too busy. Life has taken over and now I run as its whips lick at my heels.
But as I look at that light spilling onto my floor, my memories fly back in time and once again I feel like a child lounging on my mother's floor.
My spirit grows quiet.
I am free.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

ahhhhh.
I love the way the sun spills across my newly painted living room wall , Before I didn't notice the beauty of it it was just bright but now with the darker colour it invites me to sit and watch it.
I triend to capture the dance of the leaf shadows on my camera the other day . I must down load it and see how I did. if it waks I'll share it with you .

8:18 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Oh how cool! I bet it is really pretty, that was such a rich color you used. I can't wait to see pictures! :)

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home